1. Roaming is expensive in the Cooks so grab yourself a local sim card when you arrive. There are lots of instagrammable spots so you may need a bit of data!
2. Rent a car in Raro. The island is really easy to get around and there are loads of lovely places to explore.
3. Try the Ika Mata. This local dish is prevalent and is filled with fish that is freshly caught – not to be missed!
4. Take your own mask and snorkel if you are keen on snorkelling as there are loads of amazing spots to snorkel.
5. Have a look at the local black pearls. There are a range of pearl farmers at the markets in Raro on Saturday morning. The farmers are really interesting and have a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Plus, the pearls are beautiful and make for a great ‘souvenir’.
6. Take a reusable drink bottle. This small island nation is trying to cut down on plastic. The tropical weather will mean you need to stay hydrated and you can do your part in reducing plastic waste by taking your own water bottle. Most hotels, restaurants and bars offer complimentary water where they can.