Why you'll love this trip
Marvel at an active volcano, tuck into a shoreline barbecue and experience a traditional sing-sing in the Duke of York Islands
Discover how the World Wars played out in the Pacific. Visit the War Museum in Rabaul and head underground for a tour of the Japanese tunnels in Kokopo
Be mesmerised by the chants of the Kinavai ceremony as the canoes paddle across the magical dawn
There's nothing in the world like the Baining fire dance. Watch as men engulf themselves in flames to the beat of the bamboo drum and escape unharmed
Gain an insight into small village industry on a day trip to the tiny Matupit Island
Relax and unwind at the plush Rapopo Plantation Resort when it's all over
Is this trip right for you?
With very limited departures per year, this is a niche trip. It's perfect for those interested in tribal cultures, war history, village life or volcanic landscapes – or who simply love to take the path less travelled.
There are lots of water-based activities, so being comfortable on a boat is essential.
We spend one night in a village community without running water and electricity, in basic accommodation. The experience, of course, is well worth the sacrifice of creature comforts!
Meals8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner
TransportPrivate vehicle, Boat
AccommodationHotels (7 nights), Homestay (1 night)
- Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer
- Matupit Island - Day trip
- Rabaul - Yamamoto's Bunker
- Rabaul - Karavai Ceremony
- Rabaul - Rabaul Markets
- Rabaul - Old Niugini Club
- Rabaul - Japanese Submarine Base & Tunnels
- Duke of York Islands - Mioko Island tour & sing sing
- Kokopo - Bitapaka War Cemetery
- Kokopo - Blue Lagoon
- Kokopo - Dolphin watching & snorkelling
- Kokopo - Kokopo Markets
- Complimentary Airport Departure Transfer