The heart of Mexico’s culture lies in the Chiapas Highlands, an area of great beauty and important archaeological sites. Here, you will also find the indigenous cultures of the Choles, Tzeltales and Tzotziles – descendants of the Mayans. Visit the community of San Juan Chamula on a day trip from the colonial city of San Cristobal de las Casas. Continue to the Yucatan to visit important sites including Uxmal, Kabah and the famous Chichen Itza. From Chichen Itza, transfer to Cancun or a resort on the Caribbean Coast.
Duration10 Days / 9 Nights from NZD $4,610*
Type of Journey
• Mexico City • San Cristobal de las Casas • Palenque • Campeche • Merida • Chichen Itza • Cancun or the Caribbean Coast
Departure DatesDaily, year-round
- Tailor-made journey
- 9 nights’ accommodation
- 9 breakfasts and 2 lunches
- Meet & Greet at Mexico City International Airport
- Shared transfers as per the itinerary
- Economy-class airfare Mexico City > Tuxtla Guiterrez
- Shared sightseeing as per the itinerary
- Shared Sumidero Canyon boat cruise
- Entrance fees as per the itinerary
- English-speaking local guides
1 Jan – 31 Dec
10505Please note: while prices are accurate at time of loading they are subject to change due to currency fluctuations and currency surcharges may apply. Please check price at time of booking
Day 1: Mexico City
You will be met and transferred to your hotel.
Day 2: Mexico City > San Cristobal de las Casas
Fly to Tuxtla Guiterrez and enjoy a scenic drive to the impressive Sumidero Canyon for a river cruise. Continue to lovely San Cristobal de las Casas a two night stay.
Day 3: San Cristobal de las Casas
Visit the Indian artisan village of San Juan Chamula and wander the lovely well-preserved colonial streets of San Cristobal. Enjoy the fantastic local Indian markets.
Day 4: San Cristobal de las Casas > Palenque
A scenic drive through the mountains and valleys of Chiapas State awaits you today. Along the way, visit the beautiful Agua Azul waterfalls to perhaps enjoy a refreshing swim before continuing to Palenque.
Day 5: Palenque > Campeche
Morning sightseeing of the beautiful UNESCO Heritage listed Mayan ruins of Palenque. Set in tropical jungle, this archaeological gem was at its height around 1300 years ago. From here continue by scenic road some five hours to Campeche.
Day 6: Campeche
Enjoy a leisurely walking tour of this port city, a colonial gem situated on the Gulf of Mexico.
Day 7: Campeche > Uxmal/Kabah > Merida
Another two stunning archaeological sites await you today, the ornately carved ruins of Uxmal and Kabah. After touring these continue to Merida.
Day 8: Merida
Enjoy a morning sightseeing tour of Merida, the charming capital of the Yucatan.
Day 9: Merida > Chichen Itza
Drive to Chichen Itza and on arrival tour this ‘jewel in the crown’ of Yucatan Mayan sites. See the massive pyramid, ball court, observatory and temples that make Chichen Itza a must see. Overnight at a hotel very close to the ruins.
Day 10: Chichen Itza > Cancun or the Riviera Maya
Today you will transfer to one of the resorts in Cancun or along the Riviera Maya where your arrangements end on arrival or transfer to the Cancun airport for your onward flight.
- Please enquire for pricing to extend your stay in Mexico City and/or Cancun/Riviera Maya
- Surcharges apply for Easter/Holy Week and the Christmas & New Year’s period
- Surcharges also apply during other select dates, please contact us for details
- The price of the included flights is subject to change